Promotion - Target Market Analysis

I didn’t want to hi-jack MickRuby’s (@MICKRUBY) Celebrity Promotion topic, so I will start some new discussion threads as needed for various marketing aspects. This will keep the new promotion topics more focused on their intended purpose. This first thread will focus on identifying our base of future players (or Target Markets).

Target Market (Player) Analysis: This forum thread will focus on who we should target as potential players of the Stall Catchers game. Two parts of this analysis. The first is the theoretical thinking of who might be attracted to this type of game for research. The second part is the empirical analysis of existing players to see what they have in common. Are there characteristics of existing players that reveal clues about who should be targeted? We can pursue both of these lines of inquiry simultaneously. The more specific we can be about who these people (markets) are will allow us to develop a better strategy for reaching out to them and getting them engaged.

Theoretical Targets. Egle (@seplute) already indicated two potential targets selected by the team, Retirees and Students. I would suggest we get a little more specific about our retirees. Retirees is a bit broad. I would also invite thinking and discussion on other potential groups of people who might be attracted to this kind of game and research. Some starters below.

1.) Retirees: Are there obvious subgroups who share common characteristics?
Technical Retirees
a.) Retired health care workers
b.) Retired scientists, engineers, (STEM)
Common Characteristics: Comfortable with science, understanding of research, doing data analysis, free time, computer skills.

Alzheimer’s Connected Retirees
c.) Retired individuals with spouses, parents, grandparents who suffered or are suffering from Alzheimer’s.
Common Characteristics: Empathy towards need for accelerating Alzheimer’s research, browsing Alzheimer’s research sites, Alzheimer’s support groups, in the Alzheimer’s network.

Gaming Retirees
d.) Retirees who love to play online games, play puzzles, crosswords, hidden objects (Thx Carol),
Common Characteristics: Looking for ways to occupy free time, looking for challenge, looking to stimulate mental cognition, not aware of citizen science as a game category

Organized Community Retirees
e.) Retirement communities with active organized clubs and activities.
f.) Assisted living and senior care communities.
Common Characteristics: Live in a bricks and mortar community, gather for social activities, participate in organized events and activities, seeking meaningful volunteer opportunities, seeking ways to stimulate mental cognition.

2.) Students & Teachers:
Teachers of Science Classes
a.) Middle school / High school science classes.
Common Characteristics: Looking for means to highlight science in the real-world.

Club Leaders
b.) After school clubs and organizations.
c.) College clubs and organizations.
Common Characteristics: Looking for ways to serve the community.

Students
d.) Middle & High School students.
Common Characteristics: Looking for challenge, competition, socialization, fun/entertainment.

3.) Citizen Scientists
a.) Enlist support from CitSci gamers already enrolled in other citizen science games.
b.) Enlist support from citizen science project participants. (Not necessarily games.)
Common Characteristics: Desire to contribute to science, explore interesting real-world phenomena, contribute to community in a meaningful way

4.) Alzheimer’s patient family members.
a.) Reach out to the children and grandchildren of Alzheimer’s patients.
Common Characteristics: Empathy towards need for accelerating Alzheimer’s research, browsing Alzheimer’s research sites, Alzheimer’s support groups, in the Alzheimer’s network.
(Same characteristics as retirees with exception of amount of free time.)

5.) Active Health Care Workers.
a.) Health care workers who already understand the impacts of Alzheimer’s. Memory Care facilities, nursing facilities.
Common Characteristics: Empathy towards need for accelerating Alzheimer’s research, browsing Alzheimer’s research sites, comfortable with science, understanding of research, doing data analysis, computer skills.

6.) Others? Please suggest.

Let me stop here. Please add your thoughts about theoretical groups who we may want to pursue. Debate is good. Fine tuning appreciated.

Guy (@gcalkins)

1 Like

Your approach is logical & comprehensive. Thank you.
I queried “citizen scientists” & “ways to help with Alzheimer’s research” hoping to see Stall Catchers within the results, but did not. I am wondering how or if this can be made to happen as a way to appeal to future participants. Also AARP has games & quizzes on their website. I am wondering if we could get permission for a Stall Catchers link.

3 Likes

I did a little reorganizing and refinement to the potential player segments in my first post. Based on some “Common Characteristics” (which I added above) I chose to group some of the retiree subgroups together.

Please take another look above and feel free to add/suggest additional characteristics for these groups. It will help us when we assemble some player focused messaging.

Thanks @ababbie for your insights. Great suggestions. We will definitely address these.

ALL SUGGESTIONS are welcomed. Don’t be bashful. I see lots of people viewing, but few people adding their thoughts. We can do this together.

Guy (@gcalkins)

1 Like