Spelling challenge! We want to create a vessel alphabet!

That’s right! Drawing inspiration from this site, and this thread on our forum, we want to create a very simple tool that spells out everything and anything in vessels!!

Will you help us do it? :))

For now we’re starting with “Happy New Year”! Read all about the New Year challenge on the blog.

####What do you need to do?
Catch stalls, as usual, and keep an eye out for vessels that look like letters! Take a snap of movies/vessels that look like letters (screenshot is best - you can use the “PrtSc” button on your computer keyboard, an in-built tool in your browser (Firefox has a great one, e.g.), Window screenshot tool (see here) or other; if you need help taking a screenshot just let us know!), and post in on this thread!!!

Let’s get started!!! :slight_smile: The catcher who “catches” the most vessel-letters will get a special prize! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to post about the challenge on Stall Catchers, and I think I accidentally found the letter Y, haha! :smiley:

1 Like

Alphabet:

HAPPY NEW YEAR:

1 Like

It looks like a Praying Mantis wearing sunglasses.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s from one of these?:

1 Like

Wow, Tom - good eye! It certainly does.

Bad, just amazing as usual. I was going to post one, but you’ve got them all covered pretty well. I think we can use a better “R” though. Just sayin’. Lower case is easy, but a good capital R might be a challenge.

Mike

2 Likes

Shucks Mike, I’ll need a new hat if you keep talking like that! :slight_smile:

I have dupes of lots of letters but don’t want to fill up the place. Have to keep an eye out for a big juicy R.

(RE: Dupes…if anyone is in the market, meet me, with cash, diamonds, or gold, in the alley behind the shop on the corner of Ma…)

1 Like

A variant:

R variants:

M variant:

W variant:

Q variant:

E variants:

1 Like

Hi guys!! Sorry for only coming back to this now (I managed to break my laptop - second in two weeks, thanks ma’cats :ok_hand:) so things have slowed down …

WHOA @Badstallsbadbad, winner as usual!!! :slight_smile: these are AWESOME!!!

I’m gonna go make a New Year’s announcement with your letters (woohoo!!), and then come back to catalogue the rest :slight_smile: if anyone has any more variants, please do send them along - more letters, more fun combinations, haha!!!

And then, @pietro, you are gonna have to make us that tool you promised!!! :))

3 Likes

oh and of course, @Badstallsbadbad, you’re gonna have to keep an eye out for that prize :innocent:

2 Likes

Uh oh…what’d I get myself into! :grimacing: :::taking eye out, keeping it out and putting it in jar on desk:::

2 Likes

This is fantastic Bad! Thanks for gifting us this - our first vessel alphabet!

Happy New Year!
@pietro

2 Likes

The “A” has a perfect shape but poor contrast. I tried using an image editor to manipulate the brightness/contrast levels with mediocre results. So everyone please keep a lookout for another “A”. Indeed, I think anytime someone finds a “perfect” version of a letter, please post it to this thread, and over time, we can gradually improve our alphabet. And now, I’d better get back to that “tool” @seplute mentioned before I get yelled at :sweat:

2 Likes

Looking for a few more things too…I’m finding A’s but with feet cut off and contrast issues. Oh well, back to the salt mine!

So you’re fine with backwards letters? Saw a lovely backwards R the other day.

Somehow that sentence just looks funny.

Found these while sorting screenshots:

1 Like

whoa, very nice! could still use an even better A i think - funny that that’s a tough one! :smiley:

and for those who haven’t seen this yet…

1 Like

… still looking…

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

whoa nice one

1 Like