What would make Stall Catchers more fun for YOU?!

Thank you for capturing this @caprarom!

Another inquiry / suggestion from mtmeme: "Are there keyboard shortcuts for “flowing”, “stalled”"next & “track”?

mtmeme says ‘arthritic hands want to know.’

Note that mtmeme received seconds from Karis and Starider. Starider also educated us about the perils of “pressure on the extensor digitorum tendon.” :smile: (and the proximity of the slider arrow to the Flow button.)

1 Like

ah yes, keyboard shortcuts have been on our radar! thank you!

2 Likes

OK, I have to fess up. I’m embarrassed how often I accidentally flag a movie due to the proximity of the flag to the [Flowing] button. Maybe the new layout will better accommodate my fumble fingered mousing.

1 Like

Given the more challenging nature of some of the movies in recent (e.g., the current “Structural mapping”) datasets, it would be nice if the team selected some of those movies for use as calibration movies to better train our stall-catcher eyes.

It is still a mystery to some (me for sure) why wait times between movies are so variable. I just had four in a row with very quick (less than 2-second) wait times, and it felt great. That used to be the norm. The current norm seems to be 4 to 6 seconds on most movies, with perhaps one in five being quick, but a few going longer (much longer).

It does seem that a few players are achieving the quicker turnarounds routinely. I wonder if a physical connection (vs. wireless) to the router might make a difference? Anyway, if the Team has any suggestions for players to improve their efficiency/productivity by minimizing these wait times, I’d suggest that as an excellent addition to the FAQs!

1 Like

We have the all-time leaderboard, and daily and weekly tallies to help foster a spirit of competition among stall-catchers who are motivated by such things. If not too difficult, it might be nice to consider having a separate dataset-specific leaderboard for each new dataset. That way, newer players who might require months or years to catch up with veteran players’ all-time tallies, have a fair shot at top rankings for any specific dataset, where all players start from scratch each new set. Just a thought.

1 Like

excellent suggestion, @caprarom, thank you!

I asked Pietro if there’s anything like that…

I know kids will be kids, but the youngsters like to abuse the chat box. I know that really annoys some of our veteran catchers, and sometimes it annoys me. Even though the current rules don’t seem to prohibit it, posting the complete lyrics to a play soliloquy or some nonsense rant or the number 3 a few hundred times unnecessarily clogs things up. Perhaps a character limit could be set on posts to the chat box?

2 Likes

Well, Plenum’s “Unknown Structures” (Unknown structures (the bright, white splotches) - #6 by caprarom) keep popping up. I’m not always sure whether one is safe to ignore or should be marked a stall just in case. If the algorithm is not going to screen them out, perhaps we should get a few “Flowing” calibration movies with these artifacts to help educate us on them? Just a thought.

Thank you for highlighting this again Mike (honestly, I had forgotten about these splotches!) - I’ll raise the question again with the team and we’ll see - it might be a good idea to include them in calibrations, like you say… Thanks! :purple_heart:

A redesign of the user interface would be nice. I would also suggest adding badges and achievements for certain milestone (first 100,000 movies, sensitivity above certain level, etc.)

3 Likes

It would be really great if there would be some way to share a link directly to social media from stall catchers. I always thought there was one, but I can’t find the link. For example, is there some way to post a link to Twitter that says I’m playing stall catchers right now?

I belong to a language learning website called Duolingo. I use brush up on my French. They have something called streaks where every consecutive day that you login it is considered part of your streak. This is one way the use to get people to login every day. I have logged on that website every day for the past 633 days, and part of the reason is because every day they sent me an email reminding me to continue my streak. Also, you could give badges for different types of achievements. For example, you could give a badge for being a super catcher, or annotating a certain number of movies, or something like that. I think once you had the idea of giving badges, and then that never materialized. Also, I think that more frequent updates would really help. When people don’t hear from you for months, I think they think that you just lost interest in the project, and have moved on to something else. I think more frequent updates would really help drive engagement on the site. Also, you used to have many more competitions than you do now, and there used to be prizes for the competitions. I think there would be more engagement if there were more competitions, and events. You used to have a lot of events, and then it all kind of stopped.

Would it be possible to leave voice messages in the chatbox? For example, having the ability to leave a voice message instead of typing?

If I have a question about a particular movie, right now, all I can do is leave a comment in the comments section under the movie. Would it be possible to be able to click a button by my comment under the movie indicating that I would like an answer to my question? I realize this would result in possibly everyone requesting an answer to their question which would not be feasible, but right now there’s no easy way to identify individual movies, so the ability to request an answer to a question would seem to be the only other solution.

How about… a personal or a public highscore for the most detailed discovery you have made so far?
That is, the highest amount of points you have been rewarded with for the discovery of a stall?

Here’s a thought inspired by a recent question posed in the chat box by MemoryCafeDirectory: Add a metric to the green stats box showing the player their average percent agreement with the Crowd consensus, say over their latest 500 annotations. (Only worth considering if it would not impact movie selection/load times.)

1 Like

This suggestion came from jkaufbenefits in the chat box: “Don’t know how anybody else feels but I’d like to see another choice with ‘Autoscroll’. “Show answer only if incorrect””

I would use that option were it available, I think. Don’t know if it’s practical software efficiency-wise, but a nice idea. Thanks, JKB!

Thank you, Caprarom!

1 Like